[Proj] T62 Gaussian grid

Matthew Landis landis at isciences.com
Mon Jul 12 07:39:16 EST 2010

Dear Proj list,

I'm trying to incorporate some climate data into a model.  Most of our
data is on a regular lat-lon grid, but the climate data uses a T62
Gaussian grid.  I'm new to these; apparently they are commonly used in
climate models (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_grid). The
distinguishing feature is that they are not regular grids in that the
size of the latitude grid cells varies with latitude.   I'd like to be
able to interpolate them to a regular grid (I'm working in R using
rgdal), but I haven't been able to find a proj.4 string to help specify
the interpolation.

In the meantime, I have  a workaround by simply changing the latitude
coordinates at the poles slightly to fit on a regular grid.  This should
be OK, but for the sake of appearances I'd like to do it the proper way.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Sincerely,

Matt

--