[Proj] Deepwater Horizon. Where is the bottom of the well?

Michael P Finn mfinn at usgs.gov
Sat Jun 19 19:18:25 EST 2010

Thanks. Very interesting.

From:
"Clifford J Mugnier" <cjmce at lsu.edu>
To:
"PROJ.4 and general Projections Discussions" <proj at lists.maptools.org>
Date:
06/14/2010 01:05 PM
Re: [Proj] Deepwater Horizon.  Where is the bottom of the well?
Sent by:
proj-bounces at lists.maptools.org

Inertial systems and their accuracies degrade as a function of time, so
it's pretty easy to calculate the expected error envelope in all three
components.  Numerous ZUPTs  (Zero velocity Update PoinTs) can help.  The
fiber optic ring lasers with absolutely zero moving parts, although more
expensive, are the best alternative to the ring laser gyros that indeed
have one moving part.

I do not know if IXsea has any downhole applications yet, though ...

I used to sell UTM/State Plane transformation software that would run on
an HP-41 calculator to Directional Drilling companies in the Gulf of
Mexico about 25 years ago.  They were quite concerned with correcting for
magnetic declination and Grid System convergence angles back then before
small inertial strapdown packages were available for non-DoD applications.

Clifford J. Mugnier, C.P., C.M.S.
Chief of Geodesy,
Center for GeoInformatics
Department of Civil Engineering
Patrick F. Taylor Hall 3223A
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8536 [Academic]
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-4578 [Research]
Cell: (225) 238-8975 [Academic & Research]
Honorary Life Member of the
Louisiana Society of Professional Surveyors
Fellow Emeritus of the ASPRS
Member of the Americas Petroleum Survey Group