[Proj] Region Finder

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 11 18:51:58 EST 2010

` ` wrote:
> I have a the latitude/longitudes for a school boundary and I want to
> know if an address is in that boundary.  Is there a way to find out if a
> coordinate is within a latitude/longitude boundary?  Or even better
> would be to use an address and find out what boundary it is in.

There are two parts to your question, neither of which have to do with

1) The ability to determine the lat/long location associated with an
address (ie. a postal address).  This is called geocoding.   The following
posts by Martin Davis should provide a bit of background on geocoders.

2) The ability to determine if a point is within a polygon or conversely
which polygon within a set the point is in.  This is a geometry operation.
One of the best known geometry libraries is GEOS (a C++ port of JTS which
oddly is also Martin Davis' project).

Good luck,