[Proj] Region Finder

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 11 18:51:58 EST 2010

` ` wrote:
> I have a the latitude/longitudes for a school boundary and I want to
> know if an address is in that boundary.  Is there a way to find out if a
> coordinate is within a latitude/longitude boundary?  Or even better
> would be to use an address and find out what boundary it is in.

Daniel,

There are two parts to your question, neither of which have to do with
PROJ.4:

1) The ability to determine the lat/long location associated with an
address (ie. a postal address).  This is called geocoding.   The following
posts by Martin Davis should provide a bit of background on geocoders.

http://lin-ear-th-inking.blogspot.com/2010/03/open-source-geocoders.html
http://lin-ear-th-inking.blogspot.com/2010/03/more-open-source-geocoders.html

2) The ability to determine if a point is within a polygon or conversely
which polygon within a set the point is in.  This is a geometry operation.
One of the best known geometry libraries is GEOS (a C++ port of JTS which
oddly is also Martin Davis' project).

   http://geos.osgeo.org/

Good luck,