[Proj] Ellipsoidal geodesic projections

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Mon May 31 02:04:47 EST 2010

About ellipsoidal gnomonic, I had got the impression from
your documentation of GeographicLib that it was possible
to construct such a projection with all geodesics exactly
straight.

> ...geodesic problems ... Bessel ... showed how the problem
> may be transferred to an "auxiliary sphere" where the latitude
> phi has been replaced by the reduced latitude beta where
> tan(beta) = (1 - f)tan(phi). On this sphere, the geodesic
> is a great circle and the azimuth is the same as on the
> ellipsoid. However, the ellipsoidal distance is related to
> the great circle distance by an integral; and the ellipsoidal
> longitude is similarly related to the longitude on the
> auxiliary sphere.
(http://geographiclib.sourceforge.net/html/geodesic.html)

So I must have misunderstood this text. I guess "the geodesic"
does not stand for an arbitrary geodesic but only one of
those that intersect an origin point?

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB
Sweden