[Proj] Stereo 1970 (EPSG 31700)

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Thu Oct 7 02:13:10 EST 2010

Hello Noel,

> The least-squares adjustment of 7 transformation parameters
> (3 translations, 3 rotations and a scale) for an area as
> small as the country of Romania is badly ill-conditioned.

Now I am confused.

What you say is that it is a difficult statistical problem
to derive a 7-parameter transformation from observations in
a small area. But if someone I can trust has already derived
a 7-parameter transformation, then there is no numerical
problems when using it, is there?

> In these cases use a 3-parameter transformation instead.
> Or a Molodensky-Badekas transformation ... as has become
> common in some smaller countries (e.g. Luxembourg, Venezuela)
> ... if you can find (or derive) one.

Well, but if a Molodensky-Badekas transformation is okay,
then there is always a 7-parameter transformation that gives
the same result.  For all I know, the Romanian authorities
may have started out by deriving a Molodensky-Badekas
transformation, and then decided to publish it as the
equivalent 7-parameter transformation.  If that is what
they did, there would be no reason to suspect that their
transformation is less accurate than the 3-parameter
transformations, is there?

(An example: the datum shift EPSG:4829, "S-JTSK to ETRS89 (3)",
 is a Molodensky-Badekas transformation, and the datum
 shift EPSG:4827, "S-JTSK to ETRS89 (4)", is the same
 transformation expressed as a 7-parameter transformation.)

Best regards,

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB
Sweden