[Proj] Transformations in small areas - was Stereo 1970 (EPSG 31700)

Noel Zinn (cc) ndzinn at comcast.net
Thu Oct 7 22:26:55 EST 2010

Thanks, Mikael.  I appreciate the exchange.

It may be useful to identify our different perspectives on this topic and to
put some error bars around the term "accuracy".  Perspective and accuracy
are "apples and oranges" issues, but they inextricably impact the
discussion.

Although you are a software developer, your perspective seems to be that of
the consumer seeking a "black-box mechanism that can transform long/lat from
one datum to another, as accurately as possible".  You provide that to your
customer (the consumer).  My perspective has been that of a deriver of datum
transformations in (small) oil exploration frontiers throughout the world,
e.g. the offshore lease blocks of some West African country.  Having the
means to derive 3-, 7- or 10-parameter transformations, my choice was always
a 3-parameter translation.  Why?  Because software support for M-B is
regrettably scarce (a situation that you and Proj.4 can improve upon), and
because 7-parameter derivations in small frontiers are ill conditioned (my
thesis), and also because users all too frequently get the signs of the
rotations in a 7-parameter transformation wrong, and, finally, because
7-parameter transformations are no more "accurate" in a small area than a
3-parameter translation derived from the same data set.

I gracefully accept that, from your consumer perspective, my advice to use
3-parameter translations in a small area may seem "bad".  After all, why not
use a 7-parameter transformation in a small area if you've got one,
especially if it's from an authoritative source?  But from my deriver's
perspective - and as an advocate of sound geodetic practice - it's the only
responsible position to take and I don't recant.

Regarding accuracy options, you cite a couple of Great Britain OSGB 1936 to
WGS84 transformations, namely tfm code 1195 (3 parameters) by the DMA good
to 21 meters over 38 points, a remarkably large number for the DMA, but
dating to 1987 which is effectively pre-GPS (lots of Doppler error there),
and 1314 (7 parameters) of uncertain derivation for "oil exploration" but
cited by UKOOA and Eurographics, and reportedly good to 2 or 4 or 5 meters.
You've not cited tfm code 1039, derived by the Ordnance Survey of Great
Britain itself, providing 0.1 meters between OSGB 1936 and ETRS89, which is
WGS84 to less than a meter and the transformation one should be using if one
is interested in accuracy, but it's a grid interpolation.

I assert that a 7-parameter transformation derived in a small area is no
more accurate than a 3-parameter translation derived from the same data set.
Because the conventional wisdom is just the opposite we have too many bad
7-parameter transformations and too few good 3-parameter translations.  Not
good geodetic practice in my opinion.  Tfm Code 1039 provides us the
opportunity to test my assertion if you're interested.  "Small" can be
defined quantitatively based on the dilution of precision of the 7-parameter
adjustment, but let's just accept that the United Kingdom is small for our
purposes.  Using 1039 we can populate some number of randomly distributed
points throughout the UK in both OSGB 1936 and a WGS84 surrogate (ETRS89) to
within 0.1 meters per point.  Then we need a bit of random error for both
OSGB 1936 and WGS84 in amounts to be determined, 1039 having removed the
systematic errors (datum distortions).  This "noise" is important for the
propagation of random error to the derived parameters.  These points become
our truth data.  Given this design it's then just mechanics to derive 3- and
7-parameter transformations, back compute one datum from the other, and test
my assertion.  We can also compare our derived transformations with Tfms
Codes 1195 and 1314.  The exercise can be repeated with different random
noise (in the same quantities) to test the stability of the derived
parameters.

More than an evening's work, but an interesting thought experiment and a
quantitative way to test whether small-area 7-parameter transformations are
more accurate than 3-parameter transformations.

Regards,
Noel

Noel Zinn, Principal, Hydrometronics LLC
+1-832-539-1472 (office), +1-281-221-0051 (cell)
noel.zinn at hydrometronics.com (email)
http://www.hydrometronics.com (website)