[Proj] Using Proj.4 to compress a 10-parameter Molodensky-Badekas datum shift into 7 parameters

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Wed Oct 13 04:03:45 EST 2010

Clifford,
thanks for your comments.

You wrote:
> In regard to the "unexplained" difference in ellipsoid height results,
> my guess is the approximations made by the inverse algorithm
> from Geocentric coordinates.

Well, I hope it is just something like that.  But I don't know how
accurately cs2cs implements this inverse algorithm.

> The "evaluation point" is the Datum Origin, a rather important item.

"Evaluation point" is the term used in the EPSG database, but I see
that they sometimes call it "rotation point" in their Guidance Note 7.2.

No, it isn't.

I mean, the datum origin may be important, but the origin of the
La Canoa datum is at

63° 51' 34.880" W, 08° 34' 17.170" N
(source: your column on Venezuela, http://www.asprs.org/resources/grids/12-2000-venezuela.pdf )

And when I convert the evaluation point of my example datum shift
to long/lat, I get a different location:

>cs2cs +ellps=intl +proj=geocent +to +ellps=intl +proj=longlat
2464351.59   -5783466.61   974809.81
66d55'15.629"W  8d52'22.857"N -16138.645

which is about 340 km west of the datum origin, and nearer
the centre of Venezuela.

Rather, I think the evaluation point in this example
might be the average of all observation points used
to derive the datum shift.  Noel used this approach in
pages 45 - ... of http://www.hydrometronics.com/downloads/Molodensky-Badekas.pdf
That could also explain why the evaluation point is 16 km
below the ellipsoid surface (caused by the curvature of the
Earth).

> ...and Prof. Molodensky preceeded them [Dr. Kumar and Prof. Badekas]
> on another continent by some years if not decades.

That reminds me of something I have wondered about:
Wasn't Helmert much earlier than Burša and Wolf?

Regards,

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB
Sweden