[Proj] EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) after many successful calls to pj_init_plus

Aaron Friesen aaron at cartopac.com
Wed Oct 27 18:20:46 EST 2010

Everyone,

I have an application that runs as a web service.  It
runs for a while, then any call to pj_init_plus with
the same string that has been successfully running
up to that point eventually results in an access
violation during the pj_init_plus call.

Restarting the service clears up the problem for a
while, but once it hits, proj seems to be in a
problem state.

I believe I'm running 4.6.1.

Are there any known problems like this?

Does anyone see a problem with how I am calling proj?

My sanitized code looks like (VS2005, c++):

HRESULT Xform(int numXY, double* x, double* y, int numZ, double* z, char* src, char* dst)
{
	if (numXY <= 0)
		return S_FALSE;

	if (!x || !y || (numZ > 0 && !z))
		return E_INVALIDARG;

	HRESULT hr = S_OK;
	projPJ srcPJ = NULL;
	projPJ dstPJ = NULL;

	try
	{
		if (numZ == 0)
			z = NULL;

		if (!xformSpec.proj4CfsDefn || wcslen(xformSpec.proj4CfsDefn) == 0)
			throw E_INVALIDARG;

		srcPJ = pj_init_plus((char*)src);
		if (!srcPJ)
			throw E_PROJ_BAD_SRC_DEFN;

		dstPJ = pj_init_plus((char*)dst);
		if (!dstPJ)
			throw E_PROJ_BAD_DST_DEFN;

		int projResult = pj_transform(srcPJ, dstPJ, numXY, 1, x, y, z);
		if (projResult != 0)
			throw E_PROJ_FAILED;
	}
	catch(HRESULT thrown) { hr = thrown; }