[Proj] Releasing 4.8.0 ?

support.mn at elisanet.fi support.mn at elisanet.fi
Mon Aug 8 02:59:25 EST 2011

Frank,

if you are only using local variables in stack.. there are no thread
problems since each thread has it's own variables.. the point is
just to remove all globals and instead of referencing globals
calling access functions to protected locals. Basically each
thread should have it's own variables in stack or where ever.

I have not tested the speed of 4.7 but I had the feeling after switching
back to 4.6 that all proj.4 operations had an increase of speed and
that is why I am suspicious about the 4.7 coding? Especially the
startup initialization of projections was much faster in 4.6.

Since I do not need thread safety even if my projects mostly are
multi threaded (only one thread handles the projections) I would
not like to have any drawbacks in speed. So that I really prefer a
switch that would remove all unnecessary thread related overhead.

Frank, can you run "Diff" for 4.6 and 4.7 (or 4.8)? I don't have the tool
installed right now here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/diff.html

Regards: Janne.