[Proj] Little sphere projection

support.mn at elisanet.fi support.mn at elisanet.fi
Mon Aug 8 03:55:21 EST 2011

Hello,

I am not sure, but it does not sound that your problem is projection
related since in small scale changing the projection does not add
anything too much to the result since almost all normal projections
give similar results when the curvature of the earth does not affect
very much the end result compared to the planar representation of
it?

The projection starts to play role for example near poles when you
are using for example Mercator projection. The distortion of the
plane representation of the earth is so huge that the projection is
no more usable and it gives wrong results. But in most normal
cases where maps are made with fair accuracy there should not
be any need to change the original projection.

You can draw spheres or what ever on all normal maps using
normal local projections and the results should be rather accurate.

Regards: Janne.