[Proj] setting lambert conformal conic projection in gdalwarp

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Mon Aug 22 03:57:44 EST 2011

Hello Matt,

I think there are many GIS systems, apart from proj.4,
that don't handle the case where the Lambert cone has
degenerated into a cylinder. So my guess is that there
is something wrong with your metadata.

Possibly, the intention was to define a Lambert Conformal
Conic with one standard parallel at 50dN. If so, and if
we assume WGS84, the Proj.4 definition would be

  +proj=lcc +lat_1=50 +lat_0=50 +lon_0=0 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs

If this is the true coordinate system of your source image,
then "up" in the source image would be roughly northwest (in
UTM zone 18).

On the other hand, if the metadata really are correct,
it should be possible to emulate the coordinate system
by using ordinary Mercator like this:

  +proj=merc +lon_0=0 +x_0=0 +y_0=-6413524.5942 +datum=WGS84 +units=m +no_defs

where the false northing y_0 is chosen so that
0dE, 50dN will be projected to 0, 0. If this is correct,
then "up" in the source image should be true north.

Best regards,

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta
Sweden