[Proj] Vertical and geocentric coordinate support in OGR/PROJ4

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Wed Aug 24 08:13:36 EST 2011

Thanks, Ben, for the information.

We have some customers who need to convert between
height-above-geoid and height-above-WGS84-ellipsoid,
but they don't need much accuracy: a couple of
meters error is okay. My advice has been to use
some representation of EGM2008, as the most detailed
global geoid model.

I would like to learn more about the maximal (or typical)
deviation between EGM2008 and other geoid models. For
Europe, my impression is that most of the national height
systems differ less than 0.5 m from the common European
height system EVRF2007 (see "Map Projections for Europe",
page 101, http://www.ec-gis.org/document.cfm?id=425&db=document ).
A curious exception is a difference of 2.3 m for
Belgium, which uses (or has used) a height system
based on mean low tide of some kind, instead of
mean sea level. I think Ireland has some similar
height system.

But I am not sure about the difference between EVRF2007
and EGM2008. I have looked at a few sample points where
there was a difference of up to about 0.4 m. I haven't
found any conversion method between EVRF2007 and EGM2008,
or any estimate of the differences. Does anyone know?

For the rest of the world, I am even less sure of
things. I have heard that the true mean sea level
can differ by a couple of meters from the geoid,
since mean sea level is not an equipotential surface
(due to variations in water temperature, salinity,
and whatever). But since national heights can be
measured from low tide - or maybe from something else -
I guess one can expect even larger deviations.

Regards,

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta
Sweden