[Proj] Middle Europe projection setup problem

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Wed Feb 23 10:50:59 EST 2011

If I understand you right, I think your problem is just that longlat
(or Plate Carrée) isn't a good projection for map display (except near
the equator). Longlat will show one degree of longitude to be as long
as one degree of latitude, but since the meridians approach each other
away from the equator (and meet at the poles), that's not true in general.
At the latitude of Budapest, one degree of longitude is about 75 km,
but one degree of latitude is about 111 km.

Perhaps you can try using

<Layer srs="+proj=utm +zone=34 +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +no_defs">

Regards,
Mikael Rittri
Carmenta
Sweden