[Proj] cs2cs returns error then 0s with datum conversion

R. Jay Flaming jflaming at uw.edu
Tue Jan 11 14:47:34 EST 2011

I'm trying to de-arcgis a script I have written in python for
processing some database coordinates by using proj to replace the ESRI
geoprocessor.  I have installed proj4 and I call it from subprocess
popen.
Proj itself works fine, but cs2cs is not working for me, either in
python or directly from the command line.  No matter what I enter, if
I use a nad27 to nad83 conversion or vice versa, the first pair of
coordinates I enter return asterisks, and all further requests yield
0s.
Windows 7, 64 bit workstation, with Proj installed to the default
directory (c:\proj).  I've set the path.
I'm sure I'm missing something simple... can anyone help?

R. Jay Flaming
Digital Archaeology Research Laboratory, University of Washington
jay.flaming at gmail.com