[Proj] MODIS' sinusoidal to latlon

Horacio Samaniego horacio.samaniego at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 06:09:50 EST 2011

Thank you all...

The URL Markus N sent shows that it is possible to convert LL to
Sinusoidal (better to say that parameters for the conversion are
successfully implemented in GRASS)

However the question on how to convert the MODIS file is not
explicitly answered. So, here is my experience with it!

Problem: I had a MODIS cover (for Southamerica) previously processed
using GDAL in GeoTiff format that needes to be reprojected to some UTM
(19S, as I will only be interested in the Chilean portion of the
continent)

Solution: Thanks to all the members who provided answers....

 the simplest answer to this simple problem was: just use the correct
-s_srs definition with gdalwarp!

gdalwarp -s_srs '+proj=sinu +R=6371007.181 +nadgrids=@null +wktext'
-t_srs EPSG:32719 -r cubic  ${INFILE} ${OUTFILE}

special thanks to Vincent Schut,

I hope this wil help others