[Proj] Geotrans, PCTrans and cs2cs - different angle signs?

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Tue Jan 18 04:44:41 EST 2011

Jan wrote:
> Yes, the angles can be given either in "right-hand" (American)
> or "left-hand" (European) convention.

The two rotation sign conventions have formal names, which are
useful to know since they are used by EPSG.

* The "American" sign convention is formally known as
  "Coordinate Frame Rotation", and it is actually used
  by many European countries too (although a minority).

* The "European" sign convention is formally known as
  "Position Vector Transformation", and it is the convention
  used by cs2cs.  It is also the NATO standard, and (I think)
  the Eurogeographics standard.

EPSG hasn't standardized on one sign convention. For each 7-parameter
datum shift, they use the sign convention of the original information
source, and then they document which one it was. When you look up a
7-parameter datum shift at www.epsg-registry.org, you must remember
to scroll down, since the sign convention is given below the parameters.

Jan also wrote:
> Mind that angles can be given either in (micro)degrees (PROJ) or radians (EPSG).

Not quite. In cs2cs (PROJ), the rotation angles must be given in
arc seconds (1 arc second = 1/3600 degree.)

As for EPSG, it is true that the formulas in Guidance Note 7.2 assumes
that the rotation angles are in radians. However, for a 7-parameter
datum shift published in the EPSG database, the angle unit isn't
standardized.  Instead, it is the angle unit used by the information
source.
   This means that the rotation angles in EPSG are usually in arc seconds,
but there are some datum shifts for the Netherlands and for Jan Mayen
where they are in microradians, and a datum shift for Canada where they
are in radians.

Regards,

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta