[Proj] MGRS notation in extended UTM zones?

Charles Karney charles.karney at sri.com
Tue Jun 21 05:47:32 EST 2011

Mikael,

Take a look at

http://geographiclib.sourceforge.net/html/classGeographicLib_1_1MGRS.html

to see the rules that GeographicLib uses for its MGRS class.  You can
perform the conversions with the web interface

http://geographiclib.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/GeoConvert

When I started writing this class (Aug 2008) I tried using GeoTrans as
the authority; see

http://earth-info.nga.mil/GandG/geotrans/index.html

However it quickly became clear the GeoTrans used inconsistent rules.  A
big problem was that MGRS coordinates were obtained by rounding eastings
and northings instead of by truncation.  As a result a conversion from
UTM to MGRS might result in an MGRS coordinate which could not be
converted back to UTM.  Partly as a result of my prodding, GeoTrans 3.0
and later fix this particular problem (but others remain).

So instead I devised my own set of rules.  In response to Mikael's
query, my zone overlap rules are as generous as possible consistent with
staying within the MGRS lettering scheme.  In the east-west direction
this means that UTM eastings in [100km,900km) are legal.  The rule for
the latitude band letter is that if a latitude band boundary intersects
a 100 km MGRS block then either letter is valid for any coordinate in
that block.

I can expand on my reasons for these choices if anyone's interested.
Also I can unearth my most recent E-mails with the GeoTrans developers
to document what I perceive as the shortcomings of the current version
of GeoTrans.

--
Charles Karney <charles.karney at sri.com>
SRI International, Princeton, NJ 08543-5300