[Proj] proj=undef ??

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Wed Jun 22 05:44:26 EST 2011

Janne, you wrote:

> simply since you don't need any projection to do datum calculations.

Do you mean that datum shifts can be done in longlat? True, but it
was you who said that the coordinates were not in longlat but in
some "undef" projection.  I though "undef" meant that you had no
idea of how those coordinates are related to longlat.

Let't take a concrete example:

proj=undef
ellps=bessel
towgs84=123,456,789
no_defs

Now, I say that the input point is

53479811	97344703

Can you tell me how this point could possibly be translated to

proj=undef
datum=WGS84

Or maybe you can tell me under what circumstances you want to
use such a feature?

-- Mikael