[Proj] Ellipsoidal Orthographic

Noel Zinn (cc) ndzinn at comcast.net
Tue Jun 28 06:43:47 EST 2011

The only equations for the ellipsoidal orthographic that I've ever found
published (in a book or journal) are those of Bugayevskiy and Snyder (1995),
which are complicated and (the authors acknowledge) truncated.  Following
EPSG Guidance Note 7, Part 2, I've prepared a presentation on the
ellipsoidal orthographic that offers simple, exact equations.  The
derivation also suggests that the ellipsoidal orthographic is unique among
projections, being transitional between distorted cartography in 2D and
undistorted visualization in 3D on a computer in ECEF or ENU (topocentric)
coordinates.  A link to the presentation follows:

http://www.hydrometronics.com/downloads/Ellipsoidal%20Orthographic%20Projection.pdf

Does anyone in this group have other sources of information on the
ellipsoidal orthographic?

Noel

PS - Scroll the page if it presents in black

Noel Zinn, Principal, Hydrometronics LLC
+1-832-539-1472 (office), +1-281-221-0051 (cell)
noel.zinn at hydrometronics.com (email)
http://www.hydrometronics.com (website)