[Proj] Ellipsoidal Orthographic

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Wed Jun 29 12:14:34 EST 2011

Noel,

Facing a July 1 deadline for a new edition of the Manual, but I'll try to look up some hoary details afterwards.  I've got Jordan-Eggert as well as Helmert, Driencourt & Laborde, and some others that probably have the citations you need in various languages.

I am pretty certain that the original equations did not even come close to the LSR on the ellipsoid.  My contention is that the LSR is equivalent to the intention of the Polyhedric/Polyeder for the ellipsoid.  The old stuff always employed equivalent spheres, anyway.  That's where so much of the stuff came from back then that is now screwy-looking.  A few hold-outs are like the Rosenmund Oblique Cyllindrical and the Krovak Oblique Conic.

Cliff

Clifford J. Mugnier, C.P., C.M.S.
Chief of Geodesy,
Center for GeoInformatics
Department of Civil Engineering
Patrick F. Taylor Hall 3531
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Baton Rouge, LA  70803
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-8536 [Academic]
Voice and Facsimile:  (225) 578-4578 [Research]
Cell: (225) 328-8975 [Academic & Research]
Honorary Life Member of the
Louisiana Society of Professional Surveyors
Fellow Emeritus of the ASPRS
Member of the Americas Petroleum Survey Group