[Proj] New Zealand Map grid projection

Claire Castellazzi c.castellazzi at niwa.co.nz
Mon Mar 28 15:58:20 EST 2011

Hi Hamish (funny to hear from you here!), Hi Frank,

Thanks a lot for your help.
I'm sorry, I'm a neophyte with proj in particular, and geodesic in general,
and unfortunately, something is still bothering me...

Actually, I need to convert my coordinates into utm60 and I was trying to use cs2cs.
(cs2cs +proj=nzmg +to +proj=utm +south +zone=60)
It was not working so I went step by step, using proj to have a look what was going on...
I thought that the usual datums where associated to each projection as standard parameters...

Well, now that I understand that you actually need to specify your datum if you want the datum shift to be performed,
I still have a problem :

> cs2cs +proj=nzmg +datum=nzgd49 +lat_0=-41.0 +lon_0=173.0  +x_0=2510000 +y_0=6023150 +a=6378388 +rf=297 +no_defs +nadgrids=nzgd2kgrid0005.gsb +to_meter=1.0  +to +proj=utm +zone=60 +south +datum=wgs84

   Using to definition: proj=utm zone=60 south datum=wgs84
   Rel. 4.7.1, 23 September 2009