[Proj] Esri & EPSG Proj codes

Irwin Scollar al001 at uni-koeln.de
Sat Sep 10 11:12:17 EST 2011

Melita Kennedy wrote in reply to my query concerning Esri proj codes:

>There currently is not a complete list available online. The
>ArcObjects enumeration lists are not complete. These are definitions
>defined by Esri. Sometimes EPSG adds the definitions later, and then
>Esri updates the well-known IDs to the EPSG one (as more authoritative).

The Access database EPSG-v7_9.mdb contains 4924 COORD_REF_SYS
codes.  4416 of these have Proj data which can be gleaned by
combining the epsg and esri lists from the NAD directory out of a
total of 6577 codes in these lists, eliminating "Unknown",
"Unspecified" and searching for all correspondences between the NAD
code numbers and the EPSG code numbers.

How were the esri and esri-extra lists in that directory obtained?

When EPSG adds definitions defined by Esri, do these get new numbers
in the EPSG Access database or is there a systematic relationship
between Esri numbers prior to adoption by EPSG and after
incorporating them in the EPSG database?

Irwin Scollar