[Proj] proj4 string for perfect sphere

support.mn at elisanet.fi support.mn at elisanet.fi
Wed Apr 18 04:20:25 EST 2012

if you need any accuracy and robustness you'll never leave the
sphere (or ellipsoid). It is much easier to spend a little more time
with the general spherical calculation than to fix it afterwards for
150+ projections for each one with maybe a different method.

If you are afraid of the ellipsoid just use the sphere and add some
correction tables or similar methods since the difference is
usually very very small. Another trick is to project it to a single
standard projection which works all over the world and then
do the plane calculations if they are too hard to be done on the
sphere.

Nobody likes the situation where the calculations are made on any
distorted projection plane .. the error can be huge in some cases!
At least the routine should be robust to detect such distortions.. but
this adds a lot of programming effort.. so it is still better not to leave
the sphere (or ellipsoid) which is the general case and works
everywhere and with every projection.

regards: Janne.