[Proj] Confused about geos projection documentation

Frank Willett fyw at wwwtools.com
Wed Apr 25 12:13:58 EST 2012

On 04/25/2012 10:57 AM, Martin Raspaud wrote:
> On 25/04/12 17:56, Frank Willett wrote:
>> Hi All,
>
>> In the new documentation for the geos projection at:
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki/proj%3Dgeos
>
>> I'm confused because it contains the following two statements:
>
>> sweep: the sweep angle axis of the viewing instrument. Can be x
>> or y (x is the default). (new in 4.8.0)
>
>> and
>
>> The sweep argument is used to tell proj.4 which on which axis the
>>  outer-gimbal is rotating. The possible values are x or y, y
>> being the default.
>
>> Which of these statements is correct?
>
> Hi Frank,
>
> Indeed, this is confusing. At the moment, the default is x because
> of a misunderstanding when submitting the patch. I send another
> patch to change this to y, but it didn't make it in 4.8.0 as I
> hoped.
>
> However, it is just a naming matter. The name x and y should just
> be exchange, and this is what the latest patch is supposed to do.
> So that not providing the +sweep argument would result is the same
> value before and after the patch.
>
> So, I will change the documentation to reflect the current state,
> hoping that the last patch will make it soon in a 4.8.1 release...
>
> Best regards, Martin

Martin,

Thanks for your quick response.

I have an interface which needs to set the parameter to the default
and give the option to change the value. I am assuming that this means
that for now I make the default "x" and allow it to be changed to "y"
and in the 4.8.1 I will need to set the default to "y" and allow it to
be changed to "x".

If this is true, there is no need to reply to this message.

Thanks for the help :-)

Frank Willett