[Proj] a simple coordinate conversion problem

Noel Zinn (cc) ndzinn at comcast.net
Tue Aug 14 08:11:43 EST 2012

I'd argue a "transform from spherical to ellipsoidal coordinates is not
necessary for some kinds of data, like meteorological data" because a
spherical earth is a fiction.  A spherical model may be used for databases
or processing simplicity (ignorantly, IMHO), but it's impossible that
meteorological (or any other) data finding its way into the database is
based upon a sphere.  Where would that spherical data come from?  Not GPS.
So, the way to undo this ignorance is to treat (so-called) spherical data as
ellipsoidal and not apply any datum shift.  Two wrongs in this case make a
right (well, almost, because the audit trail suffers).  -Noel

Noel Zinn, Principal, Hydrometronics LLC
+1-832-539-1472 (office), +1-281-221-0051 (cell)
noel.zinn at hydrometronics.com (email)
http://www.hydrometronics.com (website)