[Proj] Relationship between proj4 and spatialreference.org

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 10:19:32 EST 2012

On Dec 31, 2012, at 7:13 AM, Jan Hartmann <j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how the references at spatialreference.org are related to the proj-strings of the official proj library? Nowadays proj includes lots of WGS-84 shifts, and at least one of them (28992, Dutch RD) is not propagated to spatialreference.org.

The relationship to spatialreference.org is one of being simply out-of-date. sr.org has not been updated in quite a while, and it needs a champion to come along and bring things forward.  sr.org gets its definitions from proj.4/GDAL as well as GeoTools. These have not been refreshed in at least a couple of years -- time for more than one EPSG database drop and the inclusion of datum shifting description in proj.4.

Hope this helps,

Howard