[Proj] Call for review of derived NTv2 for Swiss projection CH1903

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Mon Feb 20 05:26:48 EST 2012

Hello Sandro,
you wrote:

> ETRS (seems to be the same as WGS84?)

I would say that ETRS was the same as WGS84 on January 1, 1989. But ETRS is
attached to the Eurasian tectonic plate. Since 1989, the continental drift
has moved Europe and ETRS toward northeast by about 2.5 cm per year,
compared to WGS84.

> anyway it'd be interesting to see if your 0.008 mm error gets even lower
> with this.

Actually, it got slightly worse:

Test point	in CH1903		Diff Sandro	Diff Swisstopo
7.630605°E 46.590702°N	0.008 mm		0.124 mm
8.980228°E 47.020130°N	0.004 mm		0.125 mm
9.857142°E 47.571428°N	0.005 mm		0.112 mm

The first difference column gives the difference between the concatenated
shift (using CHENYX06a.gsb followed by the 3-par shift) and the direct
shift using your file CHENYX06a_wgs84.gsb.

The second difference column gives the difference between the concatenated
shift and the direct shift using the Swisstopo file CHENYX06_etrs.gsb.

One reason for the differences may be that I have assumed that the height
above the Bessel ellipsoid is zero for all test points. This height
shouldn't affect the direct shifts, but it might affect the result of the
3-parameter shift between CH1903+ and WGS84.  It might be better to look up
the ground elevation at each test point, and convert it from orthometric
height to height above Bessel ellipsoid (or just hope that the height type
isn't so important for this test).
    But maybe it is something else that causes the differences.

> We've asked for redistribution permissions to get the file included
> in the proj-data package.

That would be nice.

Best regards,

Mikael Rittri