[Proj] Proj Release

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 21 01:03:43 EST 2012

On 12-02-20 05:04 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> On 12-02-09 3:40 PM, Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH wrote:
>> Frank,
>>
>> I would like to request a Proj release in the next couple of months. We
>> are going to be doing security testing of our Lidar system which makes
>> use of trunk proj for PDAL. I'd imagine that we will have a much easier
>> time having a released version.
>>

> Regular releases of Proj would also help package maintainers.

Jeff / Mike,

I have made a pass through the open PROJ.4 tickets and taken action on most
of the recent ones.  I'm hoping to get some feedback on a couple of them.

Two outstanding issues I'd like to address before a final release:

1) Resolve whether it is appropriate for us to have switched from using
+datum= to a detailed definition in the EPSG init file.  The GRASS folks
have raised cain (cane?) about this.

2) Build internal handling for +nadgrids=@null.  It seems most of the
performance problem Thomas was seeing with projections in mapserver related
to using an actual file for this null transformation.

I see it has been around 2.5 years since the last release.  My, how time
flies.  Anyways, I have prepared a snapshot of the current state for those
willing to do some quick testing:

   http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.8.0b1.tar.gz