[Proj] How grids work in PROJ4

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 13 13:37:27 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 7:49 AM, J Luis <jmfluis at gmail.com> wrote:
> which is fine and means that the left side altitude was interpreted as
> ellipsoidal height and the output is the geoid undulation at that point.
> Because this matter can easily be confusing, I propose that 2 extra options
> are added to cs2cs so that we can unambiguously tell the program what type
> of altitudes are provided in input. And those would be
>
> +H -> means input height are ellipsoidal heights
> +h -> means input are Orthometric (plain 'altitudes')
>
> and the output is determined according with the relation h = H - N

Joaquim,

I don't agree with this change amoung other reasons because it
is different than the horizontal datum case.  Note that despite
the +geoidgrids parameter name, the system does not know
anything about geoid's.  Such grids can also be used to express
offsets from other kinds of vertical datums from the ellipsoidal
height.