[Proj] EPSG 7.9 Upgrade in Trunk

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Wed Jan 18 09:22:43 EST 2012

Not a prompt reply, but anyway:

I noticed that for the British datum OSGB 1936, gcs.csv in the libgeotiff trunk ( http://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/browser/trunk/libgeotiff/csv ) uses
the 3-parameter datum shift

        EPSG:1195, "OSGB 1936 to WGS 84(1)", accuracy 21 m.

I would have expected the more accurate 7-parameter datum shift

        EPSG:1314, "OSGB 1936 to WGS 84(6), accuracy 2 m.

This is a special case of the ticket

        http://trac.osgeo.org/geotiff/ticket/33

and since the general case won't be fixed, I suggest that OSGB 1936
needs special treatment (in datum_shift_pref.csv).

> New "preferred datum shift selection" rules are also in place which
> will give preference to 7 parameter datum shifts over 3 parameter
> datum shifts

You mean that some 7 parameter datum shifts are listed as preferred
in datum_shift_pref.csv ?  Because in build_pcs.py, I couldn't see
that 7-parameter shifts are preferred over 3-parameter shifts in general (but maybe I missed it).

Best regards,

Mikael Rittri
Carmenta
Sweden