[Proj] Natural Earth projection

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 20:44:41 EST 2012

My interest in projections has waned and I only get this email list because
I am too lazy to cut it off.  However this projection caught my eye for a
couple of reasons: 1) it is only a slight and insignificant rehash of
existing projections but, more importantly, 2) the presumptuousness of
calling it the "Natural Earth." Oh please!!

Alas.

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Norman Vine <nhv at cape.com> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2012, at 6:02 PM, Bernhard Jenny wrote:
>
> I would like to suggest the inclusion of the Natural Earth projection in
> PROJ.4. Natural Earth is a new projection for small-scale world maps. Here
> is more information on the projection:
> http://www.shadedrelief.com/NE_proj/
>
> This recent article in Cartography and Geographic Information Science
> describes the development of the projection and its equations:
>
> http://cartography.oregonstate.edu/pdf/2011_Savric_etal_PolynomialNaturalEarth.pdf
>
> Here is C code ready to be included in PROJ.4:
> http://www.shadedrelief.com/NE_proj/natural_earth_proj.zip
>
> I suggest the following entry for pj_list.h:
> PROJ_HEAD(natearth, "Natural Earth")
>
> Best regards,
> Bernie
>
> Bernhard Jenny
> Assistant Professor
> Cartography and Geovisualization
> Oregon State University
> jennyb at geo.oregonstate.edu
> http://cartography.oregonstate.edu/
>

> Bernie
>
> Frank has added this projection see
> http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/changeset/2182
>
> Perhaps you could add some documentation to
> http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki/ProjList
>
> Thanks
>
> Norman

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true,

by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful." Seneca