[Proj] Natural Earth projection

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 09:56:52 EST 2012

Perhaps a knee jerk reaction on my part because terms like "natural," like
"organic," become overused these days. As you describe it, "Natural
Earth's" projection would be more appropriate but this leaves the
projection without a direct designation. However, "natural" as a name has a
lot of nonsense baggage.

An issue that I do not remember seeing discussed with the projection is its
property of being equal area. I feel that for general thematic mapping it
is far more important for a map to be equal area to help the viewer have a
better "feel" of the information presented.