[Proj] Natural Earth projection

OvV_HN ovv at hetnet.nl
Mon Mar 5 10:37:56 EST 2012

Gerald I. Evenden geraldi.evenden at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 09:56:52 EST 2012

Perhaps a knee jerk reaction ..............

An issue that I do not remember seeing discussed with the projection is its
property of being equal area. I feel that for general thematic mapping it
is far more important for a map to be equal area to help the viewer have a
better "feel" of the information presented.

Reply:

The natural earth projection is neither conformal nor equal area.
This is discussed in the Savric paper mentioned earlier.
In this paper we can also find a discussion of the distortion.

Oscar van Vlijmen