[Proj] UNPP optimizations - was Re: Natural Earth projection

support.mn at elisanet.fi support.mn at elisanet.fi
Fri Mar 9 09:13:06 EST 2012

Hello,

I started to be interested about the number of iteration steps
in the inverse (iterative) conversion.. we all need maximum
speed.. so:

you could call it (Usually Near the Previous Point)
UNPP optimization - what does it mean? Simply the code could
assume that the next point is very close the previous point converted
and since this is mostly the case speed up the inverse iteration..
so it could assume that the inverse is the previous inverse
calculated (what ever that was) and so lessen the number of
iteration steps.

I do not know if this optimization is already used but I am sure it
might be worth testing - at least in our systems the converted
points are usually very close each other? This could be behind
a switch for cases where the normal method would be faster (if
ever)?

regards: Janne.