[Proj] Map projection of Portugal

Clifford J Mugnier cjmce at lsu.edu
Tue Dec 31 17:41:02 EST 2013

José,

Plane coordinate systems comprised of quadrants with plus & minus signs associated with coordinate components were common in Europe and many European colonies in the 19th century and some hold-overs remained during the first half of the 20th century.  With regard to the "Great War," (WWI), the French Kilometric Quadrillage used specifically in the Nord de Guerre Zone of Northern France and Belgium was the primary inspiration for the American series of the State Plane Coordinate Systems.  After WWII, projection tables were published for all of the American states and territories specifically for the land aeras.  Little thought was given to developing geodetic plane coordinate systems for offshore areas of American territorial waters.

Metal welding technologies advanced such that stiff-leg platforms were fabricated and moved offshore into the Gulf of Mexico to enable oil exploration and production activities.  Over time, the platforms started being emplaced further and further offshore.  Eventually, the offshore lease blocks began being used that were far south of the False Origin of the Louisiana South (1702) Zone, and from time-to-time Licensed Surveyors would "forget" the minus sign on the Y-coordinate and the platform would be placed exactly on the X-coordinate but 20 miles or so too far north of the intended location.  The economic consequences were disasterous for all concerned, as one would expect.

The use of GPS for precise positioning offshore seems to have alleviated that problem.

Minus signs on coordinates and humans don't seem to mix very well.

Clifford J. Mugnier, c.p., c.m.s.

Chief of Geodesy

LSU Center for GeoInformatics (ERAD 266)

Dept. of Civil Engineering (P.F. Taylor 3531)

LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY

Baton Rouge, LA  70803

Academic: (225) 578-8536

Research: (225) 578-4578