[Proj] Intersection test for two geodesics goes wrong for very long distances

Charles Karney charles.karney at sri.com
Tue Feb 5 11:10:36 EST 2013

Mikael:

Here are a few quick observations...

(1) For an oblate ellipsoid, a geodesic starting at lat1, lon1, azi1
stops being a shortest path when the spherical arc length is 180d.  The
Geod utility (with the -a flag) can compute this point with

   echo lat1 lon1 azi1 180 | Geod -a

(2) The geodesic with the supplementary azimuth 180-azi1 stops being a
short geodesic at the same point.

(3) For a given lat1 lon1 the locus of "end points" as azi1 is varied
[-180,180] is a line segment at latitude -lat1 centered on lon1+180d.
The end-points of this segment are given by azi1 = +/- 90d.  (The jargon
for this locus in the differential geometry community is "the cut
locus".)

(4) The intersection point for two geodesics (defined by their starting
points and azimuths) might be at a point where neither of the resulting
geodesic segments is a shortest path.  Here's an example with an
ellipsoid f = 1/2 (presumably similar examples occur for f = 1/300)

              lat1 lon1  azi1   lat2 lon2 azi2
geodesic a    0  -180  89.9999  0    0  89.9999
geodesic b    0   180 -89.9999  0    0 -89.9999

You can compute these geodesics with, e.g. (the -E is needed because f
is not small),

   echo 0 -180 89.9999 360 | Geod -a -e 6.4e6 1/2 -E
   0.00000000 0.00000000 89.99990000

Neither of these geodesics is a shortest path, because an equatorial
geodesics ceases being the shortest path when the longitude difference
exceeds (b/a)*180d = 90d (in this example).

(5) I've only thought about the intersection problem in the simple case
where the end points and the intersection point all lie in a single
[shd]emi-ellipsoid (for f small).  In that case, the ellipsoidal
gnomonic projection allows you to find the intersection point in a few
iterations (I think the convergence is quadratic, a la Newton).

(6) I suspect that solving the general problem will end up being fairly
complicated.

   --Charles

--
Charles Karney <charles.karney at sri.com>
SRI International, Princeton, NJ 08543-5300

Tel: +1 609 734 2312
Fax: +1 609 734 2662