[Proj] EPSG codes for regional maps..

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 22:29:07 EST 2013

Hi,

EPSG codes provide a very concise representation for coordinate systems but
I don't know how to look up EPSG-defined coordinate systems for large
regional maps such as North America or Europe.  Are there any?

The only one I've found for North America is the US National Atlas Equal
Area which is 2163.  But it's based on an unknown datum so it's not always
very useful.  I also know about 3857 (aka 900913) which is a pseudo
Mercator projection of the whole world

Are there others in the EPSG database for continent-scale maps?  How do I
search for them?

Thanks very much,

carl