[Proj] Relationship between proj4 and spatialreference.org

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Wed Jan 2 09:41:00 EST 2013

Hi Howard,

This is a problem, as OpenLayers looks by default to
spatialreference.org when a projection has not been explicitly defined
in the javascript code. This happens for example with the
"displayProjection" item in the map controls. You get the wrong
coordinates without being told that someting isn't right.

Is it very difficult to synchronize spatialreference.org with (e.g.) the
proj epsg file? If I remember correctly, Frank has an automated updated
procedure from the epsg database. Could that procedure be extended to
spatialreference.org? I would be willing to put some effort in it, as I
am working on a geographical indexing system of our map library, and
there are many historical maps in it with projections that are not in
the epsg database. Spatialreference.org would be an ideal system for
these maps, but it would only be workable if all information were up to
date.

Jan