[Proj] Italian Datum

Mikael Rittri Mikael.Rittri at carmenta.com
Fri Jan 25 08:08:26 EST 2013

Hello Jan,
I would think it is EPSG:4806, "Monte Mario (Rome)".
If you use

   +init=epsg:4806

this would expand to

+proj=longlat +ellps=intl +towgs84=-104.1,-49.1,-9.9,0.971,-2.917,0.714,-11.68 +pm=rome +no_defs  <>

(at least in Proj 4.8.0). The datum shift is intended for the
Italy mainland, and has accuracy 4 meters. There are other
published datum shifts designed for Sicily and Sardinia,
also with 4-meter accuracy, but if I recall correctly they
don't disagree by more than about 5 meters from the mainland
datum shift.
    And there are several datum shifts for offshore areas
around Italy; I haven't compared them with the mainland
datum shift.

For a map in scale 1:100000, I think the mainland datum shift
should be okay for the entire Monte Mario area.

Off-topic: Since about Christmas, I only get a small random
subset of the Proj mails to my e-mail account. I don't
think it is due to my spam filter or wrong subscription
settings.
    Am I the only one with this problem?

Best regards,

Mikael Rittri