[Proj] Define custom proj4 CRS

Jose Gonçalves jagoncal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:03:52 EST 2013

Dear Stephane

The projection is standard UTM, south hemisphere, zone 23 (central meridian
-45 deg).
Datum Corrego Alegre has two versions: "Corrego Alegre 1961" and "Corrego
Alegre 1970-72". They are similiar, with differences of only a few meters.
(The lat/long coordinates of the datum origin are not needed for the CRS
definition).

The EPSG file included in Quantum GIS has both datums but for the older one
no parameters are considered for the transformation to WGS84. So you would
better consider "Corrego Alegre 1970-72".
So, the EPSG code for your CRS is 22523. You can chose that in Quantum GIS.

If you need to transform your data to WGS84 and need better accuracy
transformations, there are datum shift grids for datum Corrego Alegre. Have
a look at:

http://www.ibge.gov.br/home/geociencias/geodesia/param_transf/default_param_transf.shtm

Regards

José Gonçalves