[Proj] Projection bounds question

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 10:57:26 EST 2013

Coordinate systems do not generally have defined bounds although there may
be laws that govern where a given coordinate system is to be used. In
theory, you could represent any place on the earth in any coordinate system.

Regarding UTM, a given coordinate pair would be valid in any of the 60 UTM
zones since false x and y are the same in every zone. Only the longitude
origin changes between zones.

I don't know if this would be helpful in your case, but an interesting tool
that was introduced at FOSS4G-NA this year can help make educated guesses
about coordinate systems: http://projfinder.com/

Rich

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 3:11 AM, Tamas Szekeres <szekerest at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to find out the bounds of a given projection?
> Let’s say I have a given projection (UTM) and have a point (supposedly in
> the same utm) but I want to find out if that point is within the bounds of
> the projection.
>
> Let me know if you have ideas.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tamas