[Proj] direct geodesic problem

Aleksander Yanovskiy yanouski at yandex.by
Thu Aug 21 02:35:11 EST 2014

Greetings!

Maybe somebody can clarify how to solve the following direct geodesic
problem: find the end point of a geodesic given its starting point and
initial azimuth and the angle between the tangent planes at the
beginning and the end points (or, equivalently, the angel between the
normals at the points).
It seems the most easy way is to find the corresponding arc length on
the auxiliary sphere, but I haven't found anywhere the explicit formula
for it as the function of the point coordinates, the azimuth and the
angle between the tangent planes at the beginning and the end points.
And I'm not sure that such formula would be valid for the the beginning
and the end points laying in different hemispheres.

And why is the geodesic problem in such formulation not being used in
practice ?

Sincerely,
Aleksander