[Proj] convert latlon to UTM without knowing the zone beforehand

Charles Karney charles.karney at sri.com
Wed Dec 17 08:45:39 EST 2014

The GeoConvert utility from GeographicLib might serve your needs.  For
example:

$ echo 33.3N 44.4E | GeoConvert -u -p 3
38n 444140.545 3684706.356

Here is the man page

   http://geographiclib.sourceforge.net/html/GeoConvert.1.html

Visit

   http://geographiclib.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/GeoConvert

to try it out.  This page also has a link for downloading GeographicLib.