[Proj] Beginner Question: Latitude/Longitude to x, y conversion - understanding output

Jose Gonçalves jagoncal at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 09:27:47 EST 2014

Adam

I think you have to change the order of your coordinates. The default input
for PROJ is (lon,lat) and the default output is (Easting,Northing).
I used PROJ in the command line to check.

You have done:
echo 51.5072 0.1275 | proj +proj=merc +a=6378137 +b=6378137
5733755.28      14193.25

and it should have been:
echo 0.1275 51.5072 | proj +proj=merc +a=6378137 +b=6378137
14193.24        6711506.71

The local deformation of lengths at latitude LAT is approximately 1/COS(LAT)

Regards

José Gonçalves

Call
Send SMS