[Proj] Google maps <3857> datum

Noel Zinn (cc) ndzinn at comcast.net
Mon Jan 27 08:20:59 EST 2014

There is no ellipsoid-to-sphere transformation involved in the EPSG 3857
(Web Mercator) map projection.  EPSG 3857 is a conversion from WGS84
ellipsoidal (lat/lon) to grid Easting/Northing using spherical Mercator
equations, but there is no intervening sphere.  It's just another map
projection (though it has its own distortions that are not the same as
either the ellipsoidal Mercator or the Spherical Mercator).  It is
completely reversible LL <=> EN.

More about the distortions at:
http://www.hydrometronics.com/downloads/Web%20Mercator%20-%20Non-Conformal,%20Non-Mercator%20(notes).pdf

Noel Zinn, Principal, Hydrometronics LLC
+1-832-539-1472 (office), +1-281-221-0051 (cell)
noel.zinn at hydrometronics.com (email)
http://www.hydrometronics.com (website)