[Proj] Expanding a proj4 CRS definition

Phil Elson pelson.pub at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 09:41:38 EST 2014

I'm curious to know whether it is possible for proj4 to return a complete
representation of a projection definition. For instance, supposing I gave a
proj4 string of:

+proj=merc

It would be useful to get back a projection definition such as:

+proj=merc +lat_ts=0 ...

Similarly, though this is less important to me, is it possible to go from:

+init=epsg:3309

+proj=aea +lat_1=34 +lat_2=40.5 ...

Without just returning the string found in share/proj/epsg?

I guess what I'm really asking whether there is an internal representation
of these values which can then be used to pump out a string suitable for
passing through to proj4 later on?

Thanks in advance,

Phil