[Proj] Build GDAL with NADSHIFT's

Roger Bivand roger.bivand at nhh.no
Fri Nov 14 12:43:01 EST 2014

Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> spatialys.com> writes:

> SriRam,
>
> I had never saw a .prj with a METADATA node until now. Oh well... It just
> seems to indicate NAD 83(2011) and the 4 first parameters of METDATA are the
> bounding box in long/lat of validity for the SRS.
>
> If you don't need a very accurate reprojection, you could just use -s_srs
> "+proj=longlat +datum=NAD83" in ogr2ogr.
>
> If you need very accurate reprojection (let's say error < 1 meter), you could
> go with the tutorial at https://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki/HTDPGrids . But that
> will be much more involved.

Something like this was seen in August, and rgdal::spTransform now says:

     "Note that WGS84 is both an ellipse and a datum, and that since
     1984 there have been changes in the relative positions of
     continents, leading to a number of modifications. This is
     discussed for example in <URL:
     http://www.uvm.edu/giv/resources/WGS84_NAD83.pdf>; there are then
     multiple transformations between NAD83 and WGS84 depending on the
     WGS84 definition used. One would expect that “+towgs84=” is a
     no-op for WGS84, but this only applies sometimes, and as there are
     now at least 30 years between now and 1984, things have shifted.
     It may be useful to note that “+nadgrids=@null” can help, see
     these threads: <URL:
     https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2014-August/021611.html>,
     with thanks to Hermann Peifer for assistance."

in its help file. That might suggest dropping the *.prj file and replacing
the input srs definition with +nadgrids=@null as the trick needed. It would
be helpful to know what software generated the *.prj file.

Roger