[Proj] Map projection used for CADRG polar areas?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Oct 22 04:54:23 EST 2014

Mikael,

Based on my code in GDAL, the answer would be Azimuthal Equidistant :
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/trunk/gdal/frmts/nitf/nitfdataset.cpp#L1005

But it is perhaps wrong. However, my experience with data showed that the 4
corner coordinates reprojected from long/lat to aeqd form a rectangle. But
that might also be true of polar stereographic...

Did you check if the maths given in 30.5.1 "North polar region" are consistant
with an aeqd method ?

Another clue is that the ASRP specification
(https://www.dgiwg.org/digest/documents/asrp_1_2.pdf), quite close to CADRG
regarding the ARC system, mentions : "3.2.3 Polar zones are square arrays of
tiles overlaid mathematically on a polar azimuthal equidistant projection".
And its maths at "B.2.2 North Polar Case" look very much the same as the one
of CADRG.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com