[Proj] PROJ 4.9.0RC1

Roger Bivand roger.bivand at nhh.no
Mon Sep 15 12:14:55 EST 2014

Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam <at> pobox.com> writes:

> Folks,
> I have discovered that PROJ.4 was left with a hanging beta
> again some time ago without my following up on the release.
> Grr, I'm lame!  Anyways, Howard Butler and I have made a
> pass through open bugs and fixed some.  Howard has also
> introduced CMake support for PROJ.4 (though the automake
> way is also still supported).
>
> Source is at:
>
>   http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.0RC1.tar.gz
>
>   http://download.osgeo.org/proj/proj-4.9.0RC1.zip

Frank:

Thanks for this! With Howard's patch #229 seems OK, and other issues seem OK
in current R package rgdal (like the exposure of how to look for installed
metadata files).

One oblique question - could there be any way of adding support to reveal
the EPSG version from within PROJ.4? A short fix for now would be to add an
epsg_version.txt or *.aux to nad/, and later find a way to access and reveal
its contents. The current R advice is:

NEWS <- "http://svn.osgeo.org/metacrs/proj/trunk/proj/NEWS"
PROJ4_NEWS <- readLines(url(NEWS))
lns <- grep("Release Notes|EPSG", PROJ4_NEWS)
head(PROJ4_NEWS[lns])

to give some guidance, but if there was a epsg_version.txt centrally
maintained, updated and distributed, everyone could record in their work
which version of EPSG they were using. Probably this applies to other
metadata files too. Just an idea for something needed for reproducible research.

Best wishes,

Roger

> I would appreciate feedback before finalizing the release in the coming week.
>
> Best regards,
> Frank
>
> --
set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam <at>
pobox.comlight and sound - activate the windows |
http://pobox.com/~warmerdamand watch the world go round - Rush    |
Geospatial Software Developer