[Proj] Fwd: [MetaCRS] Common SQLite-based dictionaries

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Sun Aug 2 15:47:02 EST 2015

Hello all

Just out of curiosity, if a SQL-like database is used, why defining new
tables instead than using the EPSG ones directly? (note that EPSG allows
users to define their own CRS, provided that they use a code outside the
reserved range).

If peoples still prefer to define their own tables, then I would like to
make one suggestion:

On Sunday 02 August 2015, Howard Butler wrote:
> I'd like to propose an attempt to standardize the GDAL, proj.4, and libgeotiff
> SRS coordinate system handling dictionaries on a SQLite database that starts
> with EPSG

I suggest to choose another name than EPSG, unless the proposed database
would be made compliant with points 6.v, vi and vii of EPSG Term of Use
(http://www.epsg.org/TermsOfUse). In my understanding the current CSV
file goes beyond the permitted modification of data, for example on axis
order. I realize that this is a controversial topic, and it is all right
if an other convention is preferred - we are just not supposed to call
that "EPSG".

    Regards,

        Martin